Field Technical & Compliance Manager
Location : Nairobi Kenya
Total View :676
Job type : Full Time
This job has already expired
The position is responsible for overseeing and management of the avocado out growers and company own farm operations. Play a leading role in the implementation of other farmer development programs. Ensure the maintenance of organic avocado and passion fruits production with product organic status integrity, quality and food safety assurance as well as compliance to GlobalGap, Grass, SMETA and organic standards.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- Overall supervision of agronomists, farm supervisors and other field workers by providing a proper leadership, guidance and control in order to have an effective field operation.
- The employee will have a leading role in implementing the company’s ongoing and proposed projects amongst company’s farmer’s schemes e.g permaculture, living wages and Living Incomes, agroforestry.
- Ensure a successful adoption of our organic production model in line with the up to date contractual agreements with the smallholder farmers.
- Increase fruit production and quality by amongst other intervention measures ensure proper adoption of agreed farming practices amongst the growers, e.g pruning, composting, pests and diseases management
- Equip producers with knowledge, awareness on organic farming principles, better avocado orchard management and certifications for organic, GlobalGap, Fairtrade and SMETA, through farmer trainings and other relevant instruments.
- Play a leading role in ensuring organic products integrity, risk identification that impact on organic status and management thereof.
- Oversee in accordance to the set SOP and harvesting checklist ensure proper harvesting, on farm product handling, risk verification during harvesting and correct up to date purchases documentation.
- Play a leading role in the planning for internal and external organic audits.
- In liaison with the field manager and team for building a sustainable farmers base with organic status to produce 1.7 million kilos annually by first quarter of 2024.
- Oversee packhouse procurement needs for raw materials as well as standards compliance.
- Responsible for the management of the company’s farm commercial activities.
- Oversee the company’s passion fruit growing and other proposed projects.
- Prepare reports and up to date accurate records that pertain to the fieldwork.
- Communicate effectively about the company’s farmer development model, plans etc to farmers, project stakeholders and the wider public in order to advance its vision and mission.
- Responsible for ensuring the company meets statutory compliances e.g licenses
- You are obliged to conduct yourself in the best manner and any Company’s trade secrets and proprietary information should be kept confidentially.
- Effectively represent the company in meetings and forums that further the interest of avocado and other selected commodity value chains and the company.
- Proper control and maintenance of company’s field inventories, equipment and assets e.g vehicles bikes etc.
- The employee’s conduct and expectations full information are contained in the ‘Employees Hand book’ as well as based on the company’s Ethical policies.
- Ensure proper custody and maintenance of company’s property availed to you especially motorbikes.
Desired Qualifications & Skills
- A minimum degree in BSC crops, agriculture or horticulture
- Minimum 5 years in a busy agribusiness set-up.
- Demonstrable agronomic skills in fruits orchard management especially avocados and passion fruits.
- Abilities to train farmers, peers and disseminate good agricultural practices and adoption thereof with emphasize to environmental sound practice.
- Conversant or working experience with either GlobalGap/Grasp or EU organic standards in busy farming environment.
- Experience working with smallholder farmers in commercial oriented schemes or a large-scale farm enterprise is necessary.
- Goal achievement orientation and self-starter.
- Passion for social economic impact amongst poor producers.
- A valid driving license.
- The job will entail intensive travel in the growing sites.